Like a lot of people, I’m ready for this dreadful year to end. I was really feeling fried during my last week or so of work. Throughout the pandemic from almost day 1, I’ve been keeping a list of things that have been bringing me a wee bit of joy during the lonely and frustrating times of this crisis. Here they are in no particular order:
- Binge-watching The Wire for about the umpteenth time
- Writing for Opensource.com kept me busy, taking my mind off my isolation, and kept me writing during some very lonely times during the pandemic
- Eating Shrimp Salad sandwiches from Looney’s North
- Eating Thai food from Yindee Thai on Thursday nights
- Reading Harvard Business Review articles
- Getting a new grill
- Cooking Peruvian chicken breasts from Wegmans on my new grill
- Cooking from recipes after a long hiatus of just eating crap
- Watching Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek Enterprise reruns on H&I TV before going to be on weeknights.
- My iPad Pro for reading books, tracking my tasks, and giving me reminders so I don’t forget anything
- A Very Sweary Dictionary for being such an easy read and showing me I might have been using one or two swear words wrong all these years
- All of the truth bombs that Meeting Boy drops
- The Tao of Bill Murray
- The Holderness Family videos on Facebook for giving me one of the only worthwhile reasons to even go on Facebook these days
- Cutting up Amazon boxes of which there were many during the pandemic
- Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ made me laugh out loud when I needed to the most
- My subscription to Todoist helped keep me on track with the plethora of work and life tasks I would’ve otherwise blanked on during the pandemic
- Zoom for helping me communicate with my co-workers and helping make starting my new remote job not so awkward
Joy was a bouncing ball for me during the pandemic. I had to catch myself more than once with a little pick me up from this list.
What are some things that brought joy into your life during the pandemic?